Was it divine intervention? I was wondering why all those people were still hanging around my hood more than two hours after the Colorado Rockies defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers today. It was the Rockies’ annual Faith Day with the group Casting Crowns providing entertainment after baseball at Coors Field. While the battle for third-place in the NL West is unimportant by two underachieving teams, this game was remarkable because the Rox finally won on the seventh day after a major-league record 17 straight Sunday losses. Last week, the Rockies set the mark, which previously had been held by not one, but three(!) Philadelphia Phillies teams (1927, ’28 and ’60). WATCH Seth Smith’s two-run home run in the seventh off Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley that gave the Rox a 4-3 lead en route to a 5-3 victory in Denver. Perhaps next year, the Rockies will schedule Faith Day a little earlier in the season.
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate