The Detroit Tigers Justin Verlander extended his incredible run with eight shutout innings and 14 strikeouts leading the Tigers to a 6-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks. Verlander has won his last six starts, allowing a total of four runs and 35 baserunners (via hit, walk or hit by pitch) with 51 strikeouts in 49 2/3 innings. Less than two months after throwing a no-hitter against the Toronto Blue Jays in Canada, Verlander is still in a groove. In the eighth inning, he reached 100 miles per hour on the stadium scoreboard — on his 116th pitch. Only one other pitcher in the modern era (1900 to date) has had six wins in six starts, with as many innings and strikeouts as Verlander and as few runs and baserunners allowed. The St. Louis Cardinals Chris Carpenter had a six-start span like that during 2005 (6-0, 50 2/3 innings, 2 runs, 27 baserunners, 54 strikeouts). Here’s the video of Verlander’s post-game conference.
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate
Join 222 other subscribers