According to Elias Sports Bureau, the Kansas City Royals Vin Mazzaro so-called performance Monday night against the Cleveland Indians was noteworthy in several ways. The facts: Mazzaro allowed 14 runs, all of them earned, in 2.1 innings of the Royals’ 19-1 thrashing to the smoking-hot Tribe. Mazzaro’s “accomplishments” include being: 1) the first pitcher since 1900 to allow as many as 14 runs in one game while pitching less than three innings. 2) the first relief pitcher to allow 14 or more runs in a game since 1944; and 3) only the fifth relief pitcher ever to allow 14 or more earned runs in one game since 1942. What an ugly night! Cheer up, Vin, the great thing about baseball is that blowout losses, even if they are Modern Day Era records, count the same a one-run heartbreakers. Tribe first baseman Matt LaPorta discusses the game with ESPN in the video. UPDATE: Mazzaro just got shipped to the Royals’ Triple-A squad, the Omaha Storm this morning.
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate