Fordham Rams shortstop Brian Kownacki makes an unbelievable and successful leap turned handspring over Iona Gaels catcher James Beck in April. The amazing air play was a critical part of a nine-run rally in the eighth inning that helped Fordham overcome an early 9-1 deficit en route to a 12-9 win. It’s rare that a single play would overshadow an incredible team effort comeback from a 9-1 deficit, but Kownacki tried. The sophomore’s leap over Iona catcher James Beck to score on Chris Walker’s go-ahead hit in the bottom of the eighth inning highlighted a nine-run rally to give Fordham a 12-9 victory over the Gaels at Houlihan Park on April 20, 2010. The feat was even more improbable after the punishment the 20-year-old Kownacki took after he entered the game in the fifth inning, and was almost immediately struck by a pitch on the wrist. Then in the eighth, as the Rams batted around, he was hit by two more pitches, in separate at-bats, both in the shoulder. The super effort was ESPN’s Play of the Day.
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate
- Minnesota Twins Rookie Hazing Pictures
- Viral Video: Keenan Cahill Performs "Dynamite" with SF Giants Brian Wilson & Cody Ross
- San Francisco Giants Brian Wilson: "I Want to RAGE Right Now!"
- Holy Cow! Harry Caray Statue Tagged! Another Omen for 2011 Season?
- Video: Twins Joe Mauer Sings in 'Explore Minnesota' Advertisement
- Pictures: LA Angels Rookie Hazing Day: Mike Trout Dressed as Lady GaGa and more!