The Texas Rangers finally get to taste the bubbly Tuesday night by winning the franchise’s first post-season series after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays, 5-1. The Rangers were founded in 1961 as the “new” Washington Senators after the “original” Senators moved to Minnesota after the 1960 season. (The Twins kept the Senators records and history.) After 11 futile seasons in DC, the team moved to Arlington, TX after the 1971 season and renamed the Texas Rangers. The franchise has been a poster child of futility, not reaching the post-season until 1996 for the first time. Now, finishing its 50th season as a franchise, the Rangers have finally won a post-season series and will face the New York Yankees in the ALCS. The Yankees knocked out the Rangers in their only other playoff appearances, 1996, 1998 and 1999. Ironically, the Rangers will have home-field advantage even though they were the third seed since the Yankees, as the wild card, knocked out second seed Minnesota. As they the oldest franchise among the four major sports to have never appeared in their league championship, they are one step close to removing themselves from that distinction. Could the stars be aligned in Texas this year?
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate
- Video: Boston Red Sox Groundskeepers Get Buried Alive By Tarp!
- In The Pink! Toronto Blue Jays Rookie Pitcher Kyle Drabek Wears Major League Bubble on his Head
- Maxim Names Orioles Luke Scott One of Dumbest Guys in Sports
- Halter Top Day: Best Promotion Ever
- Baywatch Gone Bad: Florida Marlins Rookie Hazing Videos + Pictures
- Hilarious Video: Kansas City Royals Groundskeeper Gets Rolled Over By Tarp
- Video: UNC and Wake Forest Engage in Weather Delay Antics During ACC Championship Game
Join 222 other subscribers
What an amazing series. At least one of the divisional matchups went 5 games right? Cliff Lee is just unbelievable out there. Big time players come up big in big games, and Cliff Lee is sure showing his value and what the Rangers hoped they would get when the traded for him earlier in the the season. Where would they be without him? It’s been so fun to watch him pitch, and hopefully they can stomp on the Yankees in the ALCS.
Speaking as a long-time Yankees fan, I am happy to see Texas make the ALCS. While I may not be rooting for them, it will certainly make for an entertaining ALCS! I am honestly tired of seeing the Yankees take on the Jays so often..
Pingback: Video: No Longer Lone Rangers! Texas Wins First Post-Season Series! Last MLB Team to do So. (via No Pepper Playing) « Ppaulocareca's Blog