The St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs rivalry even extends to the farm. The Memphis Redbirds needed to win two out of a four-game set in Des Moines to win the PCL North Division from the Iowa Cubs. After coming from behind in the first two games, the I-Cubs only needed to one of the last two to knock the Cardinals Triple-A team out. Didn’t happen. Sunday, the Redbirds prevailed in a 15-inning marathon and this afternoon, the Redbirds scored three times in the seventh to tie the game and then took the lead for good on first basemen Mark Hamilton’s dinger in the top of the ninth. Reliver Josh Kinney held on for his 17th save as the tying run was at third base with only one out. Kinney got a K and then a ground out to close the deal on the title. The Redbirds and I-Cubs finish with identical 82-62 records, but the Redbirds held the tiebreaker. Although the I-Cubs and PCL Manager of the Year Ryne Sandberg tied for the best record in the PCL, only the four division winner advance. I guess Cubs fans should be used to that scenario: Birds fly, Cubs hibernate.
- Rookie Hazing: New York Yankees Pop Stars Parade!
- Pic: St. Louis Cardinals website ‘moves’ team to NL WEST!
- Rookie Hazing: Colorado Rockies in Speedos!
- Video: Orioles Chris Davis Fouls a Ball into his Own Jersey!
- Hit the Deck: Twitter pix of the week: @Braves abs, ‘school’ supplies, purple kicks, @JDate
- Minnesota Twins Rookie Hazing Pictures
- Viral Video: Keenan Cahill Performs "Dynamite" with SF Giants Brian Wilson & Cody Ross
- San Francisco Giants Brian Wilson: "I Want to RAGE Right Now!"
- Holy Cow! Harry Caray Statue Tagged! Another Omen for 2011 Season?
- Video: Twins Joe Mauer Sings in 'Explore Minnesota' Advertisement
- Pictures: LA Angels Rookie Hazing Day: Mike Trout Dressed as Lady GaGa and more!